Tuesday, July 21, 2009

In the heights

07/18/2009 Richard Rodgers Theatre. Broadway, NY 2:00 pm
After four times of participating lottery tickets drawing, finally I got it!
Again, I had no expectations, didn't allow myself do homework for these broadway shows so that I can have an open mind to really appreciate and to feel what the performers want to present.
The story explores three days in the characters' lives in the New York City Dominican-American neighborhood of Washington Heights.
It starts with rap, rap is hard enough for me to understand it without saying the story line is followed the Dominican-American.
It is a pity I couldn't totally get what they were singing but at least I can understand 80% through their body language and of course some english.
The show featured hip-hop, salsa, merengue and soul music. Contemporary, salsa, and street dancing.
To me, it is just too much, too complicated by mixing all these things together.
Although they won Tony award in 2008. I still think it is not good enough or I'll just say it didn't fit my taste.
Characters:
Usnavi — Jon Rua
Nina — Mandy Gonzalez
Vanessa — Marcy Harriell
Benny — Christopher Jackson
Abuela Claudia — Blanca Camacho
Daniela — Doreen Montalvo
Sonny — Robin de Jesús
Kevin — Eliseo Román
Camila — Priscilla Lopez
Carla — Janet Dacal
Piragua Guy ("El Piragüero") — Tony Chiroldes
Graffiti Pete — Seth Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment